In my review of Coraline, I noted that this was the first 3D film that would be worth owning on DVD. While films like “Beowulf” or “My Bloody Valentine 3D” become worthless without the 3D experience, “Coraline” is such a gorgeous film that viewing it in HD is all that’s really required and since the film was never overly reliant on 3D (although it was always made with Digital 3D in mind), it would certainly be worth a purchase on DVD.
But Universal wants to give you that experience anyway even with the crappy red-blue 3D that everyone hates. I would really like a filmmaker to stand up and say “My 3D film will not be available for home 3D viewing because that’s not the way I intended it. I wouldn’t allow my film to be seen in fullscreen and until we have Digital 3D home viewing technology, my film will only be available in 2D”. I suppose some could make the argument that the red-blue 3D is better than nothing, but after watching films in red-blue 3D, I would say that nothing is definitely better.
Still, “Coraline” is a must-buy for Blu-Ray owners and the two-disc collector’s edition looks pretty great as well. Check out the list of special features after the jump.
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY(TM) HI-DEF:
- U-CONTROL ON 2-D FEATURE - Universal’s exclusive signature feature allows viewers to delve into the making of the film with the click of the remote without ever leaving the movie. Through picture-in-picture, fans can enhance their understanding of how the movie was made by viewing tours of the sets, animatics and behind-the-scenes moments, including voiceover sessions.
- CREEPY CORALINE – Director and screenwriter Henry Selick and Coraline author Neil Gaiman take fans deeper into the darker intricacies of Coraline‘s alternative worlds.
- BD-LIVE(TM) - Fans can access exclusive online and interactive features through their Internet connected Blu-ray(TM) player, including:
- MY SCENES SHARING - Show your BD-Live(TM) friends your favorite scenes from the film.
- THE WORLD ACCORDING TO HENRY - In this feature, director Henry Selick discusses his approach to the film adaptation of the award-winning book and what he loves about Coraline.
BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY(TM) HI-DEF & THE 2-DISC COLLECTOR’S EDITION DVD:
- DELETED SCENES
- THE MAKING OF CORALINE- Director and screenwriter Henry Selick hosts this behind the scenes feature about how this hand-crafted, stop-motion animated film was made.
- VOICING THE CHARACTERS - Coraline‘s acclaimed cast and filmmaker Henry Selick talk about their experiences working on the film, including defining the perfect voice for their characters.
- DIGITAL COPY OF CORALINE- Transfer the included digital copy to your iPod, Mac or PC and experience Coraline anywhere, anytime!
BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY(TM) HI-DEF, 2-DISC COLLECTOR’S EDITION DVD & SINGLE DISC DVD:
- FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR HENRY SELICK & COMPOSER BRUNO COULAIS