While we post a lot of interviews with actors, directors, and producers, the staff and I decided it’s time to make a point to talk with people who don’t necessarily get the spotlight. The fact is that a movie is only as good as its “below the line” crew, and all of us at Collider have long felt that they aren’t given enough credit. To try and rectify this, you can look forward to more interviews with costume designers, production designers, composers, editors, cinematographers, and other craftspeople that work to bring these stories to life.
In this spirit, I recently sat down with The Hateful Eight costume designer Courtney Hoffman. Unlike most interviews where we tend to focus on one film, I used my time with her to talk about the job as a whole, and what goes on behind the scenes. Of course we also talked about making The Hateful Eight, collaborating with Quentin Tarantino, how she got her big break, the difference between Terrence Malick and Tarantino, Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver, and more. If you’re interested in what it’s really like to be a costume designer on a big movie, you’re going to love this conversation. As usual I’ve listed what we talked about below the video.
The Hateful Eight is now playing in limited release and will expand nationwide later this week. You can click here for all our previous coverage on the film, including clips, our review, images, trailers, and more.
When did she first fall in love with Quentin Tarantino?
- What does a costume designer do?
- What is the biggest misconception that people have about what she does?
- How soon is she on a movie and when do you leave?
- How soon she got involved in Baby Driver.
- Can she compare two different directors that you’ve worked with that have completely different tendencies?
- Talking Terrence Malick vs. Quentin Tarantino.
- Are there other film departments she has to collaborate with?
- What is the hardest part of her job and the most rewarding?
- How did she decide she wanted to be a costume designer?
- How did she break into the industry?
- On moving to Prague on her first big job and watching Deathproof.
- How has her process changed now that she’s been working a lot more?
- What’s the best advice she ever got for the job?
- Is there a day or two she will always remember from The Hateful Eight?
- Watching Steve Jobs with Quentin Tarantino.