Last week at New York Comic-Con, I landed an awesome extended video interview with Da Vinci’s Demons stars Tom Riley, Laura Haddock, Blake Ritson and Gregg Chillin. While I’ve found group interviews to be sometimes difficult, the interview you’re about to watch is definitely one of my favorites. As you’ll see, the four of them look and act like close friends and they were able to have a lot of fun with my questions while also teasing what’s to come on Da Vinci’s Demons season 3 (which they’re almost done filming).
During the interview they talked about working with a new showrunner, how the new season is more grounded and will be set in Florence more than previous seasons, collaborating with the writers, how the season starts and what it’s about, the way they like to work, how many takes they get to do, how much they like to know about future storylines, who ruins the most takes, and so much more. In addition, while you might not have recognized her, Laura Haddock played Peter Quill’s mother in James Gunn‘s Guardians of the Galaxy. I jokingly asked the group if the success of the film has turned Haddock into a diva on set. Hit the jump to watch what they had to say.
In season 3 of the STARZ original series “Da Vinci’s Demons,” Leonardo da Vinci’s world comes crashing down when the city of Otranto is torn apart by an Ottoman invasion. On the battlefield, the Turks use da Vinci’s own weapons against him… the designs for which were stolen by someone he trusted. This betrayal will haunt Leo long after the battle is decided, as will the deaths of loved ones lost in the fighting. When Rome instigates a Crusade against the Turks, he seizes the opportunity to join, but his mission is complicated by a series of grisly murders that terrorize Italy and threaten the Crusade itself.
Tom Riley, Laura Haddock, Blake Ritson and Gregg Chillin Time Index:
- A little messing around during the interview and discussing how much they mess around on set.
- 00:29 – Which cast member ruins the most takes?
- 01:11 – Why Haddock didn’t attend the Guardians of the Galaxy premiere.
- 02:50 – Is Haddock more of a diva due to the success of Guardians?
- 04:50 – On getting more comfortable with their characters as the show progresses.
- 06:15 – The new season is more grounded and will be set in Florence more than previous seasons.
- 06:40 – On characters now having a past, present and potential future, unlike when the show first started.
- 07:15 – Picking up where season 2 left off and incorporating new storylines.
- 08:05 – The new serial killer and the threat of the Turkish invasion.
- 08:51 – How production has changed since getting a new showrunner.
- 10:00 – On the open dialogue between the cast and the writers.
- 11:30 – How much did they know about season 3 before production started?
- 12:42 – Getting the opportunity to rework scenes in earlier episodes even while shooting later ones.
- 13:25 – On season 3 being the best by a long shot.
- 14:13 – On their personal processes and how they compare to one another.
- 15:36 – The open dialogue during John Shiban’s transition as the new showrunner.
- 16:24 – Why Haddock cannot wear her perfume of choice as Lucrezia.
- 17:16 – Prepping to shoot using music.
- 17:48 – Riley’s choice to not concentrate until the very last minute.
- 19:12 – What happens when another actor requires them to change their own process and performance?
- 19:58 – Working in such a comfortable environment and getting nervous when they step onto other sets during their time off.
- 20:52 – How many takes do they get on average?
- 21:42 – Shiban’s interest in making the show gritty and real, and giving it a new look.