Brad Bird only makes great movies. If you’re not familiar with his name, he directed The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol. So when Disney announced Bird would be helming Tomorrowland (which is scripted by Bird, Jeff Jensen and Lost alum Damon Lindelof), you could have told me it was about a man’s quest to get a bowl of soup and it would have been one of my most anticipated films of the year. Thankfully, he decided to tell a different story, and it’s a big budget sci-fi movie that stars George Clooney and revolves around “a bright, optimistic teen (Britt Robertson) bursting with scientific curiosity and a former boy-genius inventor jaded by disillusionment who embark on a danger-filled mission to unearth the secrets of an enigmatic place somewhere in time and space that exists in their collective memory as ‘Tomorrowland.’”
The other day at New York Comic-Con, Disney finally unveiled the first footage from Tomorrowland (panel recap here) and a great teaser trailer that absolutely leaves you wanting to know more. Which is exactly what a teaser is supposed to do. Shortly after the NYCC panel ended, I got a few minutes with Lindelof on the red carpet. He talked about the creation of the Tomorrowland teaser trailer, what the film is about, what they’ve tried to learn from friends and family screenings, and more. Hit the jump for what he had to say and towards the end watch for a Brad Bird photobomb.
- Talks about the creation of the Tomorrowland teaser trailer.
- Talks about what the film is about.
- 2:00 – Talks about how Tomorrowland has defenses in place and how the film has an antagonist core of bad guys preventing the main characters from reaching their goal.
- 2:20 – Have they done any friends and family screenings? Talks about trying to figure out where is it confusing and engaging. Says they don’t want to make a movie that has a half an hour of exposition.
- 2:50 – Brad Bird photobomb.
- 3:05 – What is his high score on his Twilight Zone pinball machine.