Written by Steve ‘Frosty’ Weintraub
One of my favorite films from this year’s Sundance Film Festival was Derrick Comedy’s (Dan Eckman, Meggie McFadden, Donald Glover, D.C Pierson and Dominic Dierkes) “Mystery Team”. In case you haven’t heard of the film yet….
When they were seven, Oakdale’s Mystery Team was a spunky band of kid detectives dedicated to solving child-sized mysteries: who put their finger in the pie, or who stole a tricycle. The town loved them for it. Now the Team is about to graduate from high school and move in to the real world, but they’re still storming the playground to bust little kids, and the town of Oakdale is sick of it. Each member of the Team has a supposed specialty: Jason, the “Master Of Disguise;” Charlie, the “Strongest Kid In Town;” and Duncan, the “Boy Genius.” When a little girl sees their sign advertising “Mysteries Solved, Ten Cents,” she asks the gang if they could find out who killed her parents. Jason accepts the challenge readily, over objections from Duncan and Charlie who worry that the case is too dangerous. Jason makes the point that in this very real crime, the Team has an opportunity to prove they are real detectives to the town and to themselves. The Team embarks on a mystery that will take them deep into a violent conspiracy that will see their lives threatened, their friendship strained, and their claim that they are “real detectives” tested.
Trust me, the film is extremely funny and I cannot believe it hasn’t yet sold to a distributor. This is one of those films that’s destined to be a cult classic. It’s also a film that will launch the careers of everyone involved. Read the reviews online…you’ll see everyone had a blast with the “Mystery Team”.
Anyway, before I got to see the movie I was able to interview the entire Derrick Comedy group on the streets of Park City. During our interview we talked about everything….from making the movie to what it was like finding out they got into Sundance. If you’re a fan of these guys…you’ll love the interview.
Finally, if you want to watch the trailer or some movie clips from “Mystery Team”, click here.
Note: The interview might take a few moments to start due to the file size. Please be patient.
Mystery Team Part 1
- What’s the experience of Sundance been like so far
- When did they get the Sundance call where they found out they got in
- They talk about who they are and what the movie is about
- How challenging was it to make the film from financing to filming
- What was the writing process like
- What was the shooting schedule and what did they have to cut out due to budgetary issues
- They talk about the stunts they did for the film
- Do they have distribution yet
- I ask how quickly did buyers start contacting them after they got into the festival
- How into social networking are they as a group
- What do they have for the DVD. They say they have a ton of behind the scenes footage from making the film