At this weekend’s D23 (essentially Disney’s Comic-Con), I got to speak with director Dan Scanlon about Pixar’s Monsters University. For those that don’t know, Monsters U is a prequel to Monsters Inc. and it’s the story of how Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal) and James P. “Sulley” Sullivan (John Goodman) meet. As you can probably tell by the title, it was at college when they were 18.
During the interview, Scanlon talked about the challenge of making a prequel to such a successful film, how Pixar will rip apart their storyboards until they get it right, the voice cast, what’s the big challenge the animators have to overcome on Monsters U, what did they show the fans at D23, has he started thinking about any Easter Eggs for the film, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
Finally, I’m going to be posting a lot more video interviews from D23, so make sure to keep checking back.
- Talks about the challenge of having to do a prequel to a movie and characters that people love
- :40 – How Pixar will rip apart their storyboards to get it right. How has it been on Monsters University.
- 1:30 – Talks about the voice cast. Dave Foley, Julia Sweeney, Joel Murray, Steve Buscemi, and Peter Sohn who is a story artist at Pixar. He did the voice of Emile in Ratatouille. He started as a scratch voice but he’s going to be used in the final film.
- 2:20 – What’s the challenge for the animators to overcome in Monsters University (backpacks).
- 3:00 – When are people going to see the first footage/images from the movie
- 3:10 – What are they showing the fans at D23
- 3:25 – Has he started thinking about the Easter Eggs that will be in the film
- 3:45 – How long has he been working on the film