Opening this week is director Bill Condon’s WikiLeaks drama The Fifth Estate. The pic centers on the relationship between Daniel Domscheit-Berg (Daniel Brühl) and Julian Assange (Benedict Cumberbatch), as the story follows the early days of WikiLeaks, culminating in the release of highly controversial information leaks. I caught the film at the Toronto International Film Festival, and Condon has done a great job crafting a fascinating and entertaining look at WikiLeaks and the current landscape of news and information sharing. The Fifth Estate also stars Laura Linney, Stanley Tucci, Anthony Mackie, Peter Capaldi, Alicia Vikander, Dan Stevens, and Carice van Houten. For more on the film, read Matt’s review or watch these clips.
At this year’s Toronto International Film Festival, I landed an extended video interview with Stevens. He talked about his exit from Downton Abbey, how his career has changed since starring on the show, making The Fifth Estate, what changed during production, what he collects, how he got into acting, future projects like Scott Frank’s A Walk Among the Tombstones and Adam Wingard’s The Guest, and so much more. Hit the jump to watch.
- 0:10 – Jokes about his exit from Downton Abbey.
- 0:40 – Reflects on how his career has changed since starring on the show.
- 1:55 – Comments on his “small but important” part in the film.
- 2:45 – Talks about his preparation for the role, including meeting the real-world person he plays, Ian Katz.
- 4:15 – Comments on how much changed from script to screen.
- 4:55 – Talks about what it is that he collects.
- 5:50 – Reveals that he’s a big fan of late-19th and early-20th century popular science books.
- 7:30 – Talks about working with the filmmakers behind You’re Next for The Guest.
- 9:00 – Says that there will be blood (and maybe guts) in the film.
- 9:30 – Talks more about the film, which just wrapped, and if it will be ready for Sundance.
- 10:30 – Comments on working with Scott Frank in A Walk among the Tombstones and gives insight into the film.
- 11:30 – Reveals his character and setting for the film, including some of his preparation for the role.
- 12:15 – Talks about the scripts he’s been receiving and projects he has coming up.
- 13:45 – Comments on whether or not he’d like to go back to television.
- 14:25 – Talks about the extent of preparation he’s done for his roles, both physically and academically.
- 16:00 – Says he has an interest in starring in a comic book movie if the right role comes along.
- 16:45 – Reveals what originally got him into acting at the start of his career.