At WonderCon a few days ago, I landed an extended video interview with Danny McBride. While he was in attendance to help promote Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s awesome-looking end of the world comedy, This Is the End (click here for the red band trailer and our panel recap), we also talked about Eastbound & Down season 4 (which starts filming next month!), Larry David‘s Clear History, and a lot more.
For those not familiar with This is the End, the R rated comedy stars everyone in Hollywood (Rogen, Jonah Hill, James Franco, Jason Segel, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson, Michael Cera, Emma Watson, Paul Rudd, Jay Baruchel, Mindy Kaling, Kevin Hart, Martin Starr and more) and it looks to be one of the better films this summer. Hit the jump for what McBride had to say about all of his projects and circle June 14, 2013 on your calendar (the release date of This is the End).
- 0:13 – If he’s seen a rough cut of the film.
- 0:39 – His reaction when he was first pitched the idea.
- 1:22 – Working with a setup where the characters are self-parodies of the actors.
- 1:47 – Working with writer-directors Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.
- 2:16 – Pushing the boundaries with an R-rated comedy.
- 2:41 – Shooting in New Orleans.
- 3:17 – Approaching the project as someone who has written his own comedies.
- 4:19 – His preparation when reading the script and ad-libbing on set.
- 4:47 – Being a “steel wall” of never breaking character.
- 5:12 – Trying to get back on track when everyone is cracking up.
- 5:43 – Working with Larry David and Greg Mottola.
- 6:37 – The process of working with David when he only provides a handful of lines in the script.
- 7:11 – Talking about his character in Larry David’s Clear History.
- 7:36 – Talks Eastbound & Down season 4. They start shooting end of May.
- 8:27 – Trying to make each season stand on its own and the future of the series.
- 9:25 – The theme of season four. Says it’s about “what happens to the hero after he rides off into the sunset.”