When director Roel Reine’s shoot-em-up western Dead in Tombstone was filming in Romania last year, I got to visit the set along with a few other online reporters. The film starsDanny Trejo as the leader of a gang of outlaws who frees his half-brother (Anthony Michael Hall) from prison in order to loot a mining town. The plan backfires when Hall double crosses Trejo and kills him. Trejo makes a deal with the devil (Mickey Rourke) and comes back from the dead to seek revenge. As Patrick said in his Blu-ray review, “Dead in Tombstone has some really impressive stunts and set-pieces – from horse-drawn carriage flips to chandelier swings (classic!) and massive explosions – and they’re all staged and shot better than most Hollywood action fare. One particular explosion near the end looks impossibly large, though no CGI was used. Action fans will definitely want to check out this unique supernatural revenge thriller.”
During my on set video interview with Danny Trejo, he talked about how he got involved in the project, what it’s like to shoot in Romania, his admiration for Anthony Michael Hall, his preparation process, the action sequences, his experience on Sons of Anarchy, plans for Machete Kills and Machete Kills Again, Death Race 3, and so much more. Hit the jump to watch.
- Trejo gets a lot of attention for Death Race.
- 0:50 – What it’s like to shoot in Romania. He likes to walk around Bucharest.
- 2:00 – How he got involved and what the movie is about.
- 3:30 – Trejo has known Mickey Rourke for years.
- 4:20 – What his character receives in a deal with the devil.
- 4:45 – Trejo admires Anthony Michael Hall but didn’t see much of his action-light early work.
- 5:50 – His preparation for a role is “show up.” Describes his approach to riding horses for the movie.
- 8:00 – His horse in the movie is enormous.
- 9:00 – Trejo trusts the costume department to do their due diligence.
- 10:00 – Says he’s never seen the director need more than four takes.
- 10:35 – Describes a couple action sequences that he can’t wait for people to see.
- 11:30 – Says he prefers when a normal guy steps up to the superhero genre.
- 12:50 – Talks about plans for Machete Kills and Machete Kills Again.
- 13:50 – Talks about filming Death Race 3 in South Africa.
- 14:50 – Talks about his experience on Sons of Anarchy and plans to keep him involved.