With Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 getting released this weekend, Warner Bros. held a press junket in New York City over the weekend and I was able to sit down with producer David Heyman for an extended interview. Before going any further, if you were nervous the final Harry Potter movie would somehow disappoint, I’m happy to say they nailed the landing and the finale is everything I’d hoped it’d be and more. Trust me, you’re going to love it. And get ready to cry in the theater.
During the interview, Heyman talked about making the final movie, has JK Rowling ever told him any secrets about the Potter universe that the public doesn’t know, what props does he have, the ending of the film and why they made certain choices, deleted scenes, Warner Bros., and future projects like The Adventures of Oscar Pill, his Beatles animated movie, Alfonso Cuaron’s Gravity, Dogs of Babel with Steve Carell, and The Northlanders (which is a Vertigo comic). Hit the jump to watch.
For more Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 junket coverage, here’s my exclusive interview with director David Yates. Look for another exclusive interview tomorrow.
- :14 What is he feeling now that everything’s coming to an end with the multitude of press junkets? He talks about the premiere in London.
- 2:09 Talks about how it feels to know that they’ve stuck the landing.
- 3:21 Has JK Rowling ever told him any secrets about the Potter universe that the public doesn’t know? He says she hasn’t. Talks about Rowling’s involvement on each of the films and how she shows up at the read-through for each film and gives deep, rich answers to all their questions.
- 4:59 Talks about Rowling’s relationship with Potter screenwriter Steve Kloves, and how they’ve been working as partners for all these years.
- 6:27 Does he have any of the props at home? He says he does, and his favorite is the timeturner. He also has a quidditch box somewhere.
- MINOR SPOILERS BEGIN
- 7:39 He talks about how they approached the ending for the film. He says he loves Return of the King, but he felt that ending was too long, so they consciously decided to not have too many endings.
- 9:50 Talks about deleted scenes. He says scenes are usually deleted for a very good reason. He talks about one moment cut out of Part 2 that he really liked and why it was cut.
- MINOR SPOILERS END
- 11:20 He says he’s happiest with Quidditch in the first film.
- 11:32 He wishes he had the opportunity to do it all again. He says there will be nothing like Potter again.
- 12:50 He talks about working with his amazing team and how he’s looking forward to working with them again in the future. Talks about how helpful and perfect Warner Bros. was with making films of this scale from a fan point-of-view instead of a business decision.
- 14:48 Says his animated Beatles film is still in the early stages, they’re working on the script treatment now.
- 14:55 The Adventures of Oscar Pill. Says they’re still trying to figure out a take on it.
- 15:19 Says he lost the Mr. Men project. He was too focused on Potter and someone else grabbed it.
- 15:42 Dogs of Babel with Steve Carell, he says they’re meeting with directors and they have a script.
- 16:04 Talks about Alfonso Cuaron’s Gravity. He says it’s now filming, and he thinks it’s gonna be even better than he could have imagined. Says Cuaron is really pushing the envelope.
- 16:50 What other projects is he working on? Says he’s excited about going on vacation and then coming back to other projects. He’s working on The Northlanders which is a Vertigo comic. He’s looking forward to having the time to not be reactive, but to be creative and proactive.