I hope David O. Russell (The Fighter) eventually starts directing another film rather than continually add to the list of films he might direct. Not tonight: Deadline reports that Fox Searchlight wants to buy for Russell a pitch package for a biopic based on the life of B-movie legend Russ Meyer. Merritt Johnson (Temple Grandin), who served as Russell’s assistant during Three Kings, will write the script.
The studio is working to acquire the rights to the biography Big Bosoms And Square Jaws: The Biography Of Russ Meyer, King Of The Sex Film to serve as the foundation for the script. Meyer directed a series of popular sexploitation films throughout the 1960s like Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! and Vixen! that were marked by campy humor and enormous bust sizes.
Hit the jump for a list of the other projects Russell has been linked to over the past year.
Not counting the Fighter sequel Mark Wahlberg wants so badly, the list:
- Uncharted – an adaptation of the adventure video game starring Mark Wahlberg
- Cocaine Cowboys — a Mark Wahlberg-led remake of the 2008 documentary about late 70s/early 80s Miami drug trafficker Jon Roberts
- The Silver Lining’s Playbook – an adaptation of the Matthew Quick novel with Anne Hathaway and Bradley Cooper mentioned for the leads
- A Dirty Harry-esque cop drama with Ice Cube
- 2 Guns – a comic adaptation starring Vince Vaughn
- Under Cover – a comedy in which Jim Carrey joins a cover band
- Old St. Louis – a drama in the vein of Paper Moon, with Vince Vaughn and Chloe Moretz attached to star
- Joe – a modern version of the Biblical story of Job with Will Smith attached to star