David Strathairn, Molly Parker, Parker Posey, Rodrigo Santoro, Tony Shalhoub, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich, Santiago Cabrera, Saverio Guerra, Peter Coyote, and Diane Baker have joined the cast of Hemingway & Gellhorn. The HBO film tells the story of Ernest Hemingway (played by Clive Owen) and Martha Gellhorn (Nicole Kidman), two literary minds who challenged each other throughout a “tumultuous romance and subsequent five-year marriage.” (Gellhorn reportedly inspired one of Hemingway’s most acclaimed novels, For Whom the Bell Tolls.) Philip Kaufman (Quills) is set to direct; James Gandolfini will executive produce.
Hit the jump for the character breakdown.
Courtesy of Deadline:
- David Strathairn — John Dos Passos, American writer and friend of Hemingway
- Molly Parker — Pauline, Hemingway’s second wife
- Parker Posey — Mary, Hemingway’s fourth wife
- Rodrigo Santoro — Zarra, a Spanish Loyalist and friend of Dos Passos
- Lars Ulrich — Joris Ivens, the Dutch documentarian of The Spanish Earth
- Santiago Cabrera — Robert Capa, famous war photographer
- Saverio Guerra — Sidney Franklin, Hemingway’s close friend
- Peter Coyote — Maxwell Perkins, Hemingway’s editor
- Diane Baker — Martha’s mother
- Tony Shalhoub — Koltsov, a Russian journalist and apparatchik.
Quite the eclectic cast. (In this instance, “eclectic” is a synonym for “Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich is in this movie.)
Hemingway & Gellhorn is scheduled to premiere sometime next year.