Let me be very clear: Matt Reeves’ Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is one of the best films of the year and a huge step forward for what can be accomplished with motion capture. Loaded with incredible performances and a great script, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the rare commercial movie that’s also deep and thoughtful. Dawn is also rare in that tells a complete story but also opens the door for another sequel. As I said, Reeves has hit a massive home-run with this film and I truly hope audiences and critics embrace this special movie.
At the San Francisco press day I landed a great video interview with Matt Reeves. He talked about the positive reaction to the film, how he’s definitely coming back for the next sequel, writing the next one with Mark Bomback and “we are just starting to figure out what it would be,” deleted scenes, how he plans to release an extended cut on Blu-ray (which will include additional music by composer Michael Giacchino), the original ending of the movie, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
Note: Very slight spoilers are discussed at the end of this interview when talking about the original ending of the movie. You might consider watching the ending of this interview after you’ve seen the movie.
- Talks about the positive reaction to the film so far.
- Confirms he is definitely coming back for the next sequel. Says he is supposed to write the next one with Mark Bomback and “we are just starting to figure out what it would be.”
- Talks about what excited him about Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
- Deleted scenes talk. How they had over 5 minutes that was cut out very close to the end of the editing process.
- Reveals they are doing an extended cut Blu-ray that will have the extra scenes and Michael Giacchino already did the music since the scenes were cut out at the last minute.
- Talks about the original ending and how he didn’t want to be boxed in. Wanted a more open ended ending that would allow for more freedom in the next film.