20th Century Fox has released the final Dawn of the Planet of the Apes trailer less than a week after the previous trailer. No matter—everything Fox has shown us from Dawn looks great. The follow-up takes place 10 years after the events of the first film and finds Caesar (Andy Serkis) attempting to assert his dominance over the apes while a small human colony struggles to survive in San Francisco. I enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes and I am thrilled to see the sequel take a giant step forward and dive deep into a new world. My only hesitation is the Gary Oldman character, who still looks like the obnoxious, militant villain who barrels over reasonable protagonists. But I trust director Matt Reeves (Cloverfield) hired Oldman for a reason and hope the role is more nuanced outside brief clips.
Jason Clarke, Keri Russell, Gary Oldman, Toby Kebbell, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Kirk Acevedo, Enrique Murciano, and Judy Greer also star in the July 11 release. Watch the final Dawn of the Planet of the Apes trailer after the break.
Here’s the official synopsis for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes:
A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth’s dominant species.
Click here for all our Apes coverage or browse recent links below:
- First DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Clip Starring Jason Clarke and Andy Serkis
- New DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Poster Has Caesar Rallying the Troops
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Behind-the-Scenes Video Shows the Evolution from Man to Ape and Gives an Early Listen to Michael Giacchino’s Score
- 15 New DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Toy Images Show off Caesar, Maurice, and Koba
- Andy Serkis, Keri Russell, Gary Oldman and Director Matt Reeves Talk DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, the Original Film, the Sequel, and More at WonderCon