Lots of casting news to catch up on, so here it is in brief:
- Steve Coogan (Tropic Thunder) has been cast to voice a character in Despicable Me 2, starring Steve Carell and Al Pacino.
- Malcolm McDowell (The Artist) will star in a vignette of Tbilisi, My City.
- Kyle Gallner (A Nightmare on Elm Street) is a recent addition to Beautiful Creatures, the adaptation of the Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl novel.
- Abigail Spencer (Mad Men) will join the indie drama Kilimanjaro, starring Brian Geraghty (The Hurt Locker).
- Vik Sahay (Chuck) rounds out the cast for the werewolf film, Wer, directed by William Brent Bell (The Devil Inside).
Hit the jump for more.
First up, Heat Vision reports that Coogan will join Despicable Me 2 to lend his voice alongside Kristen Wiig, Russell Brand and Miranda Cosgrove with Carell returning as Gru and Pacino set to play the villain. Details of Coogan’s role were not specified, although it’s confirmed that Brand and Cosgrove will return to voice Dr. Nefario and Margo, respectively. Wiig is also returning but in a different role.
Deadline has McDowell boarding a vignette of Tbilisi, My City, which is compared to a New York, I Love You but about the Georgian republic. Created by David Agiashvili, Tbilisi, My City is composed of 12 short films set in the titular capital and each written and directed by Georgian natives. McDowell’s piece, directed by Nika Agiashvili, finds him playing an actor who reluctantly agrees to a one-month shoot in the capital and ends up falling in love with the city.
The Beautiful Creatures cast already sports Viola Davis, Emma Thompson, Emmy Rossum, Alice Englert, Alden Ehrenreich and Jeremy Irons, and Variety reports that Gallner has now been added. He will play Larkin, the younger brother to Rossum, whom she casts a spell on in the Richard LaGravenese adaptation.
Mad Men’s Spencer will join the indie drama Kilimanjaro by writer/director Walter Strafford. The story focuses on Geraghty’s character, a man who is determined to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro after a recent break-up. Per THR, Spencer plays his receptionist, whom he develops feelings for.
Finally, from Heat Vision comes word that Sahay will join A.J. Cook, Simon Quarterman and Brian J. O’Connor for the horror movie, Wer. Set in Paris, the story of Wer centers on the investigation into a gruesome murder of a family. Sahay will play a member of the defense team who discovers that their client (O’Connor) is hiding a terrible secret.