With Pokemon: Detective Pikachu opening this weekend in theaters around the world, I recently got to talk to director Rob Letterman on the red carpet before the Tokyo world premiere in Japan. During the interview, Letterman talked about his reaction to finding out Ryan Reynolds would do the film, how the film is dedicated to the fans, what surprised him when he got into the editing room, why he never thought he would be able to include the Mr. Mime scene, how the Blu-ray will include a whole different version of the first act, and a lot more.
As you know from the trailers and TV spots, Detective Pikachu stars Justice Smith as a young man investigating the disappearance of his father who teams up with Detective Pikachu (Ryan Reynolds) to find his missing dad and help Pikachu close the case. The film also stars Suki Waterhouse, Ken Watanabe, Kathryn Newton, and Rita Ora.
Check out what Rob Letterman had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about followed by the official synopsis.
- When he got in the editing room what surprised him and what made him nervous?
- How he never thought he would be able to include the Mr. Mime scene.
- How long was his first cut compared to the finished film?
- Deleted scenes talk.
- How the film is dedicated to the fans both new and old.
What was his reaction finding out Ryan Reynolds agreed to do the film?
- Does he consider Detective Pikachu to be a video game movie?
- VFX talk. Did he have a shot or two he was concerned about?
Here’s the official synopsis for Detective Pikachu:
The story begins when ace detective Harry Goodman goes mysteriously missing, prompting his 21-year-old son Tim to find out what happened. Aiding in the investigation is Harry’s former Pokémon partner, Detective Pikachu: a hilariously wise-cracking, adorable super-sleuth who is a puzzlement even to himself. Finding that they are uniquely equipped to work together, as Tim is the only human who can talk with Detective Pikachu, they join forces on a thrilling adventure to unravel the tangled mystery. Chasing clues together through the neon-lit streets of Ryme City—a sprawling, modern metropolis where humans and Pokémon live side by side in a hyper-realistic live-action world—they encounter a diverse cast of Pokémon and uncover a shocking plot that could destroy this peaceful co-existence and threaten the whole Pokémon universe.
And for more on Pokémon: Detective Pikachu, be sure to get caught up with these recent write-ups:
- Watch: See How Well the ‘Detective Pikachu’ Cast and Crew Know Their Pokémon
- Movie Talk: The First ‘Detective Pikachu’ Reactions Are Here!
- ‘Detective Pikachu’: First Reactions Say that the Video Game Movie Curse May Be Broken
- New ‘Detective Pikachu’ Trailer Reveals a Wonderful World of Pokémon
- ‘Detective Pikachu’: 39 New Images Invite You to a World of Pokemon