If you live in the UK, a really dark and gritty thriller called Tony opened yesterday (in limited release), and it’s also on VOD and DVD Monday. Written and directed by first time feature film director Gerard Johnson and starring Peter Ferdinando, Tony follows a week in the life of an alienated psychopath with severe social problems.
I saw a screening at Slamdance last week and thought the film was great. You’d never know it was Johnson’s first film, and when you find out he it for 80,000 pounds, it’s even more impressive. If you’re a fan of dark thrillers, I definitely recommend checking Tony out. It hits DVD in the US in April.
Anyhow, when I was in Park City for the Film Festivals, I got the chance to speak with Gerard Johnson and Peter Ferdinando about Tony. We talked about making the film, where the idea came from, how they were able to make it for such little money, and they talk about they want to make next which is an English version of Bad Lieutenant. It’s a fantastic interview so check it out. Again, if you’re in the UK, check out Tony…it’ll surprise you.
Since many of you might not be familiar with Tony, here’s the trailer and then the interview. For more on Tony, here’s the official website:
Director Gerard Johnson and Peter Ferdinando
- What has it been like to be at Slamdance/Sundance
- We talk about Tony and how are they selling the film without giving it all away
- 2:40 – Where did the idea come from and how hard was it to get the money
- 4:00 – Peter Ferdinando talks about how he got involved in the film and with Gerard Johnson
- 4:55 – How did he prepare for the role
- 6:30 – What does it mean to them that the film is getting released in the UK
- 7:00 – Did they ever think about going digital instead of film due to the budget
- 7:50 – What was it like on set especially with the limited budget
- 8:40 – What was the most takes they got on any shot and which one was it. Say they shot the film in 12 days
- 9:25 – The running time is 76 minutes. Did they ever try to go for 90 minutes
- 10:20 – What are they working on now. Says they want to make an English Bad Lt.
- 11:15 – The writing process
- 12:30 – What do they want to tell people about the movie who may be watching this interview