At this year’s Toronto Film Festival, I had the chance to speak with director John Hillcoat about his upcoming movie “The Road”. The film is based on Cormac McCarthy’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel and it stars Viggo Mortensen, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Charlize Theron, Robert Duvall, and Guy Pearce. While the film doesn’t get released till November 25th, I’ve decided to post the interview now as I really enjoyed the movie and want to help it get some positive buzz. If you aren’t familiar with the story, it’s definitely not what I would call a fun movie, but I fell for the world John Hillcoat put on screen and think it’s a film deserving of your time. Anyway, after the jump is my interview with John.
And before watching the interview, here’s a link for 5 clips from “The Road”. You might want to watch at least one clip before the interview.
- How does he prepare to create the worlds in his films
- Did he feel any pressure to explain what happened to the world in The Road as the trailer made a lot of people nervous
- What will end up on the DVD/Blu-ray – John explains that he fought to take stuff out of the movie.
- I ask how many minutes of end up on the DVD – he says 4 scenes will be on the DVD
- At the very end you can see me ask him what is he doing next but then the tape runs out…I ran out of time…