Originally launched in 2009, Disney’s official fan club has a new look and a ton of new content available for both new and old fans alike. The behind-the-scenes team at D23 has spent the better part of the past year prepping a revamped website that brings archival memorabilia, interviews with Disney legends, exclusive merchandise and more to its members. For the first time ever, D23 is offering a free level of membership so all fans of the Mouse House can get in on the fun. In addition to being able to access the all-new content, members will be able to purchase discounted tickets for the upcoming D23 Expo, which runs from August 9th to 11th this year in Anaheim. Hit the jump for much more on D23’s new look and how you can sign up!
Collider was invited to attend a preview of D23’s new look for their expanded fan site and we were blown away with the cool stuff they have in store. The site has evolved from its most recent look, remaining just as easy to use but offering much more for casual and die-hard fans alike. Take a look at just some of the new content available:
- Free Membership – D23 already offers a Silver and Gold paid membership, but the new free level of membership will grant members access to exclusive merchandise, discounted D23 Expo tickets, FanFare the e-newsletter and select discounts and offers.
- 150 features are currently in production with additional sisters sites planned for the future. Other revamped sites include the D23 Expo site, Disney Legends and the first-ever site dedicated to Disney archival content.
- Ask a Disney Legend – Questions posed over social media sites will be answered by the Legends via video interviews.
- Attraction Rewind – Archival images and stories of old attractions at various Disney parks.
- Weird Disney – Bizarre archival items, images and stories, such as strange retro Mickey and Minnie mascot costumes.
- D’scovered – More archival material, such as the never-before-seen family photos of Disney from the family trips to Griffith Park in the 1930s and 1940s, and Disney’s pictures from his globetrotting. Other items include a vintage drink menu from the Polynesian resort and drawings for a proposed Disneyland in Burbank.
“Members Only” Content (D23 Expo, Disney Legends and Disney Archives will be open to everyone)
- Disney TV animation cell of DuckTales’ Duckburg, including a video flythrough.
- “Born in the Funnies” featuring obscure characters from the comics.
- “Lost Adventures,” the shorts and cartoons that were never produced.
- Recipes – A perennial favorite is Blue Bayou’s Monte Cristo.
- Downloads – Wallpaper, exclusive art, images for Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Disney A to Z – Over 7,000 entries ready at launch with more to come, this continually updated encyclopedia of all things Disney will provide a historical reference to all fans.
- Quotable Walt Disney – Categories of searchable Disney quotes.
- Events – D23’s Fanniversary, the Hocus Pocus 20th Anniversary screening and more!
- D23 Studios – A backstage tour of Disney on Ice, and a trip into Walt Disney’s hometown in “Growing Up Disney.”
- Characters – An encyclopedia of Disney characters, including Classic (shorts), Disney (features), Pixar and Television Animation.
- Walt Disney Archives – A great student resource that provides, among other things, a list of Disney features and over three-million images in the library, such as The Atomobile, artwork from Mary and Lee Blair, and treasures from parks, resorts and archives, pluse virtual museums and videos of 3D models.
- Star Wars – Before Disney’s recent purchase of Lucasfilm, the studios had a shared past. You’ll have to scour D23’s new site to find out where! (George Lucas privately owns the archives, but Disney will have access to items from the new sequel films going forward. The same goes for future Marvel and Muppets films.)
Be sure to visit the new D23: Disney’s Official Fan Club website for all of the above content and much more!
*Though existing members will be able to enjoy the new content without any hitches, new members will have to wait 24 hours before any discounts or special offers are applied. The team expects straight-through access to the store for all new members starting in September.