Currently playing in limited release is writer-director Julie Taymor’s The Tempest. Adapted from William Shakespeare, Taymor has added a twist to The Tempest by switching the gender of the sorcerer Prospero into the sorceress Prospera (Helen Mirren). In addition, Taymor has brought along an all-star cast featuring Russell Brand, Alfred Molina, Djimon Hounsou, David Strathairn, Chris Cooper, Alan Cumming, Ben Whishaw, Reeve Carney, Felicity Jones, and Tom Conti.
Anyway, over the past week we’ve posted video interviews with Helen Mirren and Russell Brand. Tonight we’ve got Djimon Hounsou. During the interview, Hounsou talked about how he got involved in the project, how challenging it was to work with the makeup and the language of Shakespeare, what he has coming up, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch:
Finally, you can watch 5 movie clips from The Tempest here.
- We joke around about the chairs
- When he was asked to be in The Tempest, did he immediately say yes. Talks about the casting process
- We talk about how complicated the language of Shakespeare can be. Also talks about the setting.
- How there is not a lot of improv and does that help with the language. Talks about the makeup and difficult it was to work with
- Would he do another role with that much makeup ever again?
- What does he have coming up. Any truth to the Black Panther rumor?