A few weeks ago, I got to visit the set of one of the best shows on television: NBC’s Community. As I said when I posted a bunch of behind the scenes photos, I learned a lot about the upcoming third season and it all sounds great. Since I know most of you don’t want to be spoiled, I’ll just leave you with a hint of what’s to come. While last season was about Pierce (Chevy Chase) being the antagonist of the group, the third season is about outside antagonists…
While on set, I got to participate in group interviews with the cast. The other week I posted Joel McHale (Jeff) with Alison Brie (Annie), as well as Danny Pudi (Abed) with Yvette Nicole Brown (Shirley). For today’s interview, I’ve got Donald Glover (Troy) and Gillian Jacobs (Britta). During the on set interview they talked about how they find the right delivery for a joke, the filming process, the next Halloween episode, the arcs of the first two seasons and what’s coming up on season three, and they talk about what they bring from their real life to the characters. Hit the jump to watch and make sure to tune in this Thursday night when Community returns with new episodes!
Donald Glover and Gillian Jacobs
- 0:20 – Glover talks about the new black Spider-Man. Brian Bendis got the idea from watching the Community episode where Troy wears Spider-Man pajamas.
- 2:00 – Jacobs is “violently against a black Spider-Man.”
- 2:50 – Talk about the filming process. Sometimes, it’s clear how the joke should be played on the page. Other times, good directors like the Russo brothers bring out the comedy.
- 4:30 – They’re filming the big Halloween episode soon. It satirizes “every movie ever.”
- 6:15 – Discuss the season arcs. Season 1 introduces the characters. Season 2 is a “TV show about TV shows.” Season 3 will explore the characters more, especially in their lives outside of Greendale.
- 8:00 – Glover and Jacobs talk about what they bring from their real life to the characters.