Now playing in traditional theaters and IMAX is the sequel to The Hunger Games, Catching Fire. Directed by Francis Lawrence, the film centers on President Snow (Donald Sutherland) trying to crush a budding rebellion that was ignited by Katniss’ (Jennifer Lawrence) actions in the previous film, as the 75th Hunger Games (aka Quarter Quell) finds past victors competing against each other. The sequel also stars Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson, Jena Malone, Sam Claflin, Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Stanley Tucci, Jeffrey Wright, and Amanda Plummer.
At the recent Los Angeles press day, I got to speak with Donald Sutherland. He talked about what makes The Hunger Games so popular around the world, what it was like collaborating with Francis Lawrence, deleted scenes, what he collects, the way he prepares for a role, future projects, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
- What is it about the Hunger Games that makes it so popular around the world?
- What was it like collaborating with Francis Lawrence versus Gary Ross?
- Did he have any deleted scenes?
- What does he collect?
- When people meet him what do they want to talk about?
- Has he changed the way he prepares for a role during his career?
- Talks about future projects like an animated film that he’s producing (Pirates Passage) and a TV show in Europe called Crossing Lines.