One of the many films to premiere at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival was The Riot Club. Directed by Lone Scherfig (An Education) from screenwriter Laura Wade’s adaptation of her critically-acclaimed play, Posh, the film follows two Oxford University freshmen who begin the initiation process to join the infamous and highly selective Riot Club. As the story progresses and the rambunctious initiation comes to a close, issues of class and social status come to a head from the point of view of the young, rich, and spoiled-rotten. The Riot Club stars Max Irons, Sam Claflin, Douglas Booth, Holliday Granger, Jessica Brown Findlay, and Natalie Dormer. For more on the movie, read Adam’s review from TIFF.
Shortly after the film’s premiere, I landed an exclusive video interview with Douglas Booth. He talked about what the last year has been like for him, the experience of making The Riot Club, how the characters were developed from the stage to the screen, his research for the role, if the script changed during production, working with the Wachowskis on Jupiter Ascending and he revealed that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies will begin shooting in London very soon. Hit the jump to watch.
- 0:35 – Booth comments on his very busy career over the last year.
- 1:25 – Talks about the characters of Riot Club and how they were developed from the stage to the screen.
- 2:20 – Gives an overview of the film and introduces it to audiences who are unfamiliar with the real-life title characters.
- 4:00 – Reveals his research for the role of an elite member of private society by entering into their world.
- 5:20 – Talks about collaborating with so many up-and-coming British actors.
- 6:10 – Comments on how much the script changed throughout production.
- 7:30 – Talks about filming action sequences for the Wachowskis’ Jupiter Ascending.
- 8:30 – Reveals his first impressions of the film.
- 8:50 – Confirms that he’s filming Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, along with Sam Riley, Jack Huston, Bella Heathcote, and someone he can’t reveal, for director Burr Steers.
- 9:30 – Reveals that they’ll be shooting the film in London starting this September.