Dwayne Johnson is quickly becoming the go-to guy when you want to reinvigorate a franchise. He was brought in on G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, and recently Johnson’s charisma was on full-display in Justin Lin’s surprisingly fantastic Fast Five. Following the smashing success of the fifth entry in the Fast and Furious franchise, Universal quickly got to work plotting out a follow-up installment. Lin committed to coming back to the series, and we soon learned that the producers were mulling over the idea of shooting both Fast Six and Fast Seven back-to-back. It appears that’s not the case anymore, as Johnson recently spoke a bit about the upcoming sequels. Hit the jump to see what he had to say.
Speaking with MTV, Johnson revealed that they’re set to begin filming Fast Six in May, but they’re no longer planning on shooting both sequels at the same time:
“I don’t think we’re going to shoot them back-to-back. We were going to try that because it wouldn’t make sense to have the same crew and have everybody there in one place, but I think we’re dealing with some weather issues, so from what I know we’re going to shoot Fast 6 first and then worry about Fast 7 a little later.”
Johnson went on to reveal that they’ll be shooting in the UK and Germany, but didn’t specify which sequel would be shooting where. Vin Diesel recently confirmed that Fast Six and Fast Seven are essentially one big story cut in half, as they started plotting out the script for Six and realized that the scope was so vast and the cast was so large that they needed two movies to service the story. It’s interesting that they’re not shooting both films at the same time, as it would cut down on budget costs, but I guess we have weather issues to blame for the altered shooting schedule. Whatever the case, I had an incredibly fun time with Fast Five and I’m looking forward to seeing what Lin and Co. have planned overseas. Watch MTV’s video interview with Johnson below.
- GAME OF THRONES Recap: “Kissed by Fire”
- Watch: Kevin Spacey, Steven Spielberg, and Barack Obama Get Goofy in Sketches from the 2013 White House Correspondents’ Dinner
- Final Trailer for FAST & FURIOUS 6 Teases the Film’s Massive Amount of Action
- Collider Goes to C2E2 2013: Over 30 Cosplay Images from the Convention Floor Featuring THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, STAR WARS, MORTAL KOMBAT & More
- Watch 5 Minutes of Footage From Baz Lurhmann’s THE GREAT GATSBY Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire, Isla Fisher and Joel Edgerton
IndieClick Film Network