If you’ve seen Fede Alvarez‘s Evil Dead remake, you know he doesn’t go easy on his actors, but that didn’t stop Dylan Minnette and Daniel Zovatto from signing on for his next project. Minnette leads Don’t Breathe as Alex, the son of a security business owner who’s got a habit of borrowing his father’s keys so that he can rob his clients with his friends Money (Zovatto) and Rocky (Jane Levy). They’re looking to step up their game so target a blind war veteran (Stephen Lang) who just scored a large sum in court. However, little do they know, this man is no helpless victim, especially when he’s defending his own turf.
Don’t Breathe is a very different breed of horror compared to Evil Dead, but it’s just as vicious and relentless. While celebrating the film’s world premiere in Austin at SXSW, Minnette and Zovatto took the time to sit down and discuss their experience making the film including their first impressions of the script, working with the “animalistic” Stephen Lang, production challenges and much more. You can catch it all in the video interview below and, in case you missed it, click here for my full Don’t Breathe review. The movie is due in theaters on August 26th.
Daniel Zovatto & Dylan Minnette:
- 00:04 – Their thoughts on Alvarez’s Evil Dead remake.
- 00:58 – What Jane Levy told them about working with Alvarez.
- 01:31 – The toughest scene to shoot in Don’t Breathe.
- 02:16 – Their first impressions of the script; doing their camera tests.
- 03:18 – Zovatto is unrecognizable in this film.
- 03:47 – Seeing the final film for the first time at SXSW.
- 04:33 – Shooting in a real abandoned neighborhood with a single occupied house.
- 05:15 – Meeting the owners of this “drug dealer” house.
- 06:15 – What they shot in Budapest.
- 07:25 – The lengthy oner that covers them exploring the house.
- 09:15 – Seeing Lang in character for the first time.