Over the weekend, shortly after Dylan O’Brien, Will Poulter, director Wes Ball, and screenwriter James Dashner took the WonderCon stage to promote The Maze Runner, I landed a great video with them interview backstage. The film centers on a group of teens who appear in an area known as “The Glade” but have no memory when they wake up. The only way out appears to be through a shifting maze of massive walls that harbor dangerous creatures known as Grievers. Only one of the teens, Thomas (O’Brien), holds the secret to their escape. The Maze Runner also stars Kaya Scodelario, Aml Ameen, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Ki Hong Lee, and Patricia Clarkson. For more on the film, watch the teaser trailer.
During the interview the group talked about the dangerous filming locations, rattlesnakes, how filming on location added to the experience, the visuals of the film, how fans of the book will react to the movie, the glade set and how upset they were when it was torn down, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
- :10 – Talk about the dangerous filming locations. O’Brien tells a story about an anxiety dream he had the night before the first day.
- 1:34 – Ball talks about a crewmember that got bitten by a baby rattlesnake, while O’Brien looks on in horror.
- 2:37 – How did filming on location instead of against a green screen add to the experience?
- 5:00 – Talk about changes from the book and what was necessary to make a successful film adaptation.
- 6:59 – The visuals of the film. O’Brien says fans of the book will be blown away, and Ball notes that they’re keeping a lot of stuff out of the trailers.
- 8:20 – Dashner talks about how fans will react to the film. Describes it as “the book on steroids.”
- 8:44 – Talk about the glade set and how upset they were when it was torn down.