When Ed Boon was slaving away programming the first Mortal Kombat, I’m sure he was just hoping someone might play the game. Now, almost twenty years later, Mortal Kombat has become one of the biggest video game franchises of all time and with a new game and a nine-part web series (Mortal Kombat: Legacy), the franchise shows no signs of slowing down.
Last week I got to sit down with Boon to talk about all things Mortal Kombat. We covered making the new game, the fatalities and violence in the series, his thoughts on director Kevin Tancharoen’s short film Mortal Kombat: Rebirth and the new web series Mortal Kombat: Legacy, and does he think we’ll ever get a cool Mortal Kombat movie. Hit the jump to watch.
Finally, huge props to my partners at Omelete for editing this interview. Great job guys. You’ll see what they did as you watch…
- What’s the one thing people always want to talk to him about regarding the game
- :55 Does he think the web series can lead to feature films
- 1:35 What was his reaction to the short film and where did he first see it
- 2:20 How much has he been involved in all the video games. Talks about making the original Mortal Kombat
- 3:15 Balancing the fatalities and violence
- 4:05 How do they raise the bar with fatalities in the games
- 5:00 What are they planning in terms of gameplay so both casual gamers and hard core gamers can both enjoy the new game
- 5:35 the Easter Eggs in the game
- 6:15 How hard is it to keep the secrets under wraps