I won’t add to the outcries about Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man beyond saying it sucks, it’s bad for Marvel, and bad for fans (I said a lot more about it on this week’s The Collision podcast). It was rumored that Wright’s seemingly abrupt exit was due to significant rewrites from Marvel’s in-house writers, and the new script completely undid the story Wright and co-screenwriter Joe Cornish wanted to tell. THR confirms this report saying, “new rewrites took place without Wright’s input, and when he received Marvel’s new version early during the week of May 19, he walked.” Additionally, THR reports that some insiders feel the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy may have already gone too far, and Wright’s vision “might have been too quirky the Marvel universe.”
Hit the jump for more. The film stars Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Michael Peña, Patrick Wilson, Evangeline Lilly, and Corey Stoll. Ant-Man opens July 17, 2015.
According to THR, “Marvel had been unhappy with [Wright’s] take on Ant-Man for weeks,” which I still find shocking since he’s been with the studio longer than any filmmaker (he started work on Ant-Man in 2006), and I don’t know how they could have only recently decided that they weren’t pleased with his vision for the film. Nevertheless, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige ordered revisions of the script, and that script was apparently so far from what Wright wanted that he felt he had no choice but to walk away.
In addition to trying to find a director that will have to piece together the new script with what remains of Wright’s vision for the movie, Marvel will also have to put together the project’s key crew positions. THR says the movie’s “heads of departments — departed when it became clear production would not begin as scheduled.” The cast is still attached, and “a source close to the production says all key crew positions will be filled shortly.”