With director James Gunn’s superhero flick Super opening this weekend, I recently got to sit down with Ellen Page to talk about how she got involved with the project. As you might expect from Gunn (Slither, PG-Porn), the film is violent, twisted, and darkly comic. During the interview, Page talked about the six degrees of Kevin Bacon, what’s her karaoke song, does she have an opinion on the ending of Inception, the violence in Super, upcoming projects like Freeheld (which will be written by Ron Nyswaner) and Stitch and Bitch with Alia Shawkat.
Finally, if you’re a fan of Page, you definitely need to see Super. The reason I say this is you’ve never seen Page like this. When I saw Super, she had the entire theater laughing at some of the insane stuff she does on screen. It was great. Hit the jump to watch the interview:
- :18 Did she join the project to be higher up on the list for Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon?
- :31 Her go-to karaoke song. Says you will never see her doing karaoke. Likes to watch, but will never get onstage.
- 1:18 Does she have an opinion on the ending of Inception?
- 1:36 Her attraction to the project. Says it was an “immediate” yes when she read the script, which was emailed to her by Rainn Wilson. Was really excited for the project.
- 2:21 Talks about the violence in the film. Says she has a lot of trouble watching violence and gore, but when she was playing the character she enjoyed the physicality of the role. Never actually thought about the violence of the film while shooting.
- 3:32. Upcoming projects. Hopes to make Freeheld soon, written by Ron Nyswaner (Philadelphia). She’s still developing the TV show Stitch and Bitch with Alia Shawkat and Robert Tillman.