Chuck Palahniuk – Exclusive Sundance Video Interview
Posted by Frosty
I’ll admit that getting to interview Chuck Palahniuk was probably the highlight of this year’s Sundance Film Festival. Since some of you might not know Chuck’s work, he’s the writer of “Fight Club,” “Survivor,” “Invisible Monsters,” “Lullaby,” “Diary,” “Haunted,” “Rant,” and “Choke.” That last book is the reason I got to talk with him.
That’s because “Choke” has been made into a feature film, and it premiered at this year’s Sundance Festival. In fact, “Choke” was one of the first films sold, with Fox Searchlight buying the movie for $5 million bucks. Not bad for a film that cost around $3.5 to make.
Anyway, if you’re a fan of Chuck’s work – like I am – then you can imagine how happy I was to be able to talk with him. Sometimes when you get ready to do an interview you have to do a lot of research and figure out what you’re going to ask. But with this interview…it was one of the few times that I went in with no note cards, nothing written down, nothing figured out. That’s because I had a million questions to ask, and since I got so much time with Chuck…I covered almost everything. The only thing I failed to address on camera was “Fight Club: The Musical,” sorry about that.
If you’re a fan of Chuck’s you’ll love the interview. We cover everything you’d want to know about – from what’s up with his other book’s being adapted into movies, to how he writes, and a lot more. Seriously, you’ll love it. And due to the length of the interview, I divided it up into 3 parts. As usual, I listed what we talked about above each part.
And if you happened to have missed the movie clips that I posted from “Choke,” you can watch them here. “Choke” is scheduled for release this summer. Anyway, enough words from me. Here’s the interview. Of course a big thank you to everyone that made this happen, and an even bigger thanks to Chuck for answering all my questions. Oh yeah, you can all look forward to "Choke" as the film is great. Just some FYI.
Chuck Palahniuk – Part 1
· How has the festival been
· How does it feel to be the first sale of Sundance
· We talk about how Fox Searchlight bought the movie and how Fox put out Fight Club
· How involved was he in the production
· Can you really judge a production by the quality of the food
· We talk about his writing process
· I follow up with another question about his writing style by asking if he writes from 9 to 5 or does he go in huge spurts
Chuck Palahniuk – Part 2
· What is the status of his other books getting made into movies
· Does he have approval on the directors who get to make the movie adaptation
· Who is attached to direct his other books
· How excited would he be to see Francis Lawrence direct Survivor
· What is he currently working on. It’s called Snuff and it’s about a gang bang
Chuck Palahniuk – Part 3
· Does he think with Choke getting sold so quickly, that it will lead to more of his books getting made in a timely fashion
· How happy was he with how Choke turned out
· How many books does he write at a time
· How does he know when he’s found the story he wants to spend a year or more on
· What was the most challenging of his books to finish
Here are a few “Choke” movie images. You can click here for more.