A few days ago I attended the Los Angeles press junket for director James McTeigue’s Ninja Assassin. While I already posted my four minute video interview with McTeigue and Rain (the lead in Ninja Assassin), I was able to get some extra time with McTeigue the following day. Since I’m a huge fan of V for Vendetta and his work with the Wachowskis on Speed Racer, I decided to use my extended interview to ask about his other projects and home video questions.
So after the jump I try and get James McTeigue to tell me what the Wachowskis are working on, his next project on Edgar Allen Poe (The Raven), the Superman and Magneto rumors, what’s on the Ninja Assassin DVD/Blu-ray, could Hugo Weaving be in his Edgar Allen Poe movie, his thoughts on Star Wars (he was second unit director on Episode Two), extended edition DVDs, and a whole lot more! It’s a great interview so take a look:
As usual, here’s what we talked about in order. And if you’d like to see some movie clips from Ninja Assassin, click here.
- What is up with the Wachowskis? Does he know what they are working on?
- He says they finished writing a “very cool script and they are in the middle of writing another one”. He goes on to say “they are trying to produce a number of scripts so, yeah, they’ve got a bunch of stuff going.”
- Is Joel Silver and the Wachowskis relationship over?
- Is he amazed at how many people have been asking about Superman?
- He calls the Superman discussions “minor”
- Doesn’t understand where the Magneto rumors came from
- 4:00 – Edgar Allen Poe talk. How much of a departure is this project for him as a filmmaker?
- It’s Poe’s vision of 1850’s Baltimore
- How is technology going to aid the project or is it more practical effects
- What studio is making it and when is he shooting. Says March and Endgame is producing
- When will we hear about cast? Says before Christmas
- What will be on the Ninja Assassin DVD/Blu-ray – says 6 or 7 scenes were cut and it’s about 15 minutes of deleted scenes
- Says the deleted scenes will be in separate area of the disc
- We talk about the many different versions of certain movies like Blade Runner and Watchmen
- Is the Blu-ray that exists for V for Vendetta the final version or does he have extra stuff laying around at home
- Could Hugo Weaving be in his Edgar Allen Poe movie
- He worked on Star Wars episode two. What does he think of Star Wars now?