Earlier today I was at a Subway restaurant in Santa Monica on Pico Blvd. The reason I was there is Universal had transformed the restaurant into a special “Land of the Lost” themed location – complete with themed tables, chairs, and they even had some Sleestaks walking around. If you live in the area, you might want to stop by.
Anyway, the reason they were doing this promotion was to raise awareness of the upcoming “Land of the Lost” movie. So to help in that endeavor, director Brad Silberling, Sid and Marty Krofft (the creators of “Land of the Lost”), and Zachary Levi (“Chuck”) were all taking photos and talking to the press to help promote Subway.
After waiting around for a little while, I finally got some time with Zach and we discussed the future of “Chuck” and how Subway saved the show.
In case you don’t know, Subway has become a major sponsor of “Chuck” and without their support, it’s unlikely the show would be coming back next season. But thanks to a lot of fans buying footlong subs and leaving comments in the store, Subway took notice and they’re going to be a huge part of next season. While it isn’t yet known how the restaurant will be integrated, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Yvonne Strahovski’s character (Sarah Walker) working at the store.
While I’m usually against this kind of integrated marketing, I know “Chuck” wouldn’t be around anymore without Subway, so I’ll say a big thank you to the company.
Anyway, during my extended interview with Zach we discussed the future of “Chuck”, Subway, this year’s Comic-Con, how next season could still be 22 episodes instead of 13, and a whole lot more. If you’re a fan of “Chuck”, I promise you’ll love this interview. Watch it after the jump:
Zachary Levi part 1
- Is that his child
- We talk about Lost and Chuck
- We talk about how Subway is responsible for saving Chuck
- Tells that great story about being in London and leading all the fans to the local Subway store
- How he’s an unusual actor that’s willing to do a lot of promotions
- How the world of advertising has changed
Zachary Levi part 2
- Comic-Con talk – what will they be doing down there. Could JeffSter perform?
- Zach wants to have a Zach party
- Season Two finale talk
- I ask if when Chuck uses his new abilities they are gone…
- Will Scott Bakula be back as Chuck’s dad
- He says there is a chance they might shoot 22 episodes instead of just 13! He explains how
- Will the Buy More be back