Move over, fellas! The ladies are setting up to take to the screen in an all-female version of The Expendables. Adi Shankar’s 1984 Private Defense Contractors has selected Dutch Southern to pen the action script. In the past, the banner has co-financed The Grey, Dredd 3D, Broken City and Killing Them Softly. They’ve also previously picked up a hitman-action spec script from Southern titled Hoof Harrington’s Greatest Hits, which was pitched as a mashup of Payback and Snatch. The company is reportedly in talks with a number of prominent action actresses, but no names have been reported as of yet. So let’s have some fun and speculate, shall we? Meet me after the jump to do some dream casting.
Variety first reported on an all-female version of The Expendables getting underway. Let’s remember that the current iteration in theaters now, The Expendables 2, does star Nan Yu. As for who is being contacted, there are no names yet, but the history of female action heroes is not nearly as extensive as that of the boys, so let’s do some speculating:
- Linda Hamilton – A go-to action star from her Terminator days and a stint on Chuck.
- Sigourney Weaver – Her career in the Alien franchise gives Hamilton a run for her money.
- Carrie Fisher - She can handle a blaster, so why not a grenade launcher?
- Uma Thurman - All that Kill Bill training has gone to waste in recent years.
- Milla Jovovich – Resident Evil aside, I’ll just say: The Fifth Element.
- Angelina Jolie - She’s come a long way since Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and let’s not forget her driving skills from Gone in 60 Seconds.
- Michelle Rodriguez - Although she’s killed in almost as many movies as Sean Bean, Rodriguez is among the toughest of this bunch.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar – It’s getting a little thin here, but Gellar did a convincing job as Buffy the Vampire Slayer for a number of years.
- Summer Glau - From Firefly to Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Glau could make for an interesting newcomer.
- Carrie Anne Moss - Let’s bring back that leather from The Matrix.
Some other possible names include Eliza Dushku, Zoe Bell, Gina Carano and, of course, Lucy Lawless. Feel free to go crazy with your own casting (and potential titles) in the comments.