At today’s D23, Walt Disney released the logo for Tom Burton’s stop-motion animated film, Frankenweenie. If you’re not aware, Burton came up with the idea for Frankenweenie in the early 80’s, but due to budget constraints and never having directed a feature, he decided to make it as a short film. Which, at the time, proved to be a great calling card, as the short led him to directing features. And now it’s come full circle, as Burton has been hard at work bringing Frankenweenie to life as a feature film, and it’s getting released October 5, 2012.
Shortly after showing the packed D23 audience a sizzle reel, I was able to speak with producers Allison Abbate and Don Hahn backstage. They talked about what they showed today, the visual look of the film (it’s both in 3D and black and white) and what year it takes place, the music and score, and when will we see our first look at the film (October). Hit the jump to watch the interview and you can also get a high resolution version of the logo.
Finally, I’m going to be posting a lot more video interviews from D23, so make sure to keep checking back.
In Tim Burton’s “Frankenweenie” young Victor conducts a science experiment to bring his beloved dog Sparky back to life, only to face unintended, sometimes monstrous, consequences.
And here’s the full synopsis:
From creative genius Tim Burton (“Alice in Wonderland,” The Nightmare Before Christmas”) comes “Frankenweenie,” a heartwarming tale about a boy and his dog. After unexpectedly losing his beloved dog Sparky, young Victor harnesses the power of science to bring his best friend back to life—with just a few minor adjustments. He tries to hide his home-sewn creation, but when Sparky gets out, Victor’s fellow students, teachers and the entire town all learn that getting a new “leash on life” can be monstrous.
Don Hahn and Allison Abbate
- They talk about being at D23 and the fans. They also talk about bringing out a puppet on stage and hearing the fans get excited.
- :45 – They talk about what they showed from the movie (sizzle reel)
- 1:15 – Any chance that some of the footage from today will end up online. Abbate says the first look from the movie will be released in October
- 1:30 – They talk about what the movie is about and the genesis of the project. It’s the Frankenstein myth seen through he eyes of a child.
- 2:05 – The visual look of the film. Being done in black and white and they have some noiry lighting.
- 3:15 – What year does the movie take place in? They say it’s not specific…but it feels like the era of Tim’s youth…maybe the mid 70’s.
- 3:35 – They talk about the music and score. Danny Elfman is doing the music but it’s not a musical. They say Elfman has started working on the project.
- 4:15 – When do they wrap? They say by Thanksgiving.