I never thought I’d be saying this, but I pity whoever has to review the DVD or Blu-ray of “Funny People”. It’s not because it’s a bad film but because it’s a long one. Now take the length of the film and then remember how loaded the DVDs are for Judd Apatow films. Add that all together and whoever has to watch all of these feature–especially on the Blu-ray-will not see his family or friends for at least two weeks so that he can get his review online by the DVD/Blu-ray’s release date of November 24th.
The special features for the DVD and Blu-ray of the movie have been announced and, as expected, there are more special features than you can handle because “Funny People” is really two movies smooshed together. And because the film wasn’t long enough, there’s also an “unrated” version which adds seven minutes to the two and a half hour runtime. Hit the jump to check out the full list of special features for the 1-Disc, 2-Disc, and Blu-ray editions of “Funny People”.
Via Universal Studios Home Entertainment’s press release:
Throughout the production of the film, Judd Apatow and his entire production team were mindful of home entertainment audiences, gathering exclusive footage of the filmmaking process and creating special features that they knew fans would love. Accordingly, both the two-disc Collector’s Edition Blu-rayTM and DVD come loaded with exclusive bonus features, including:
· Hilarious gag reels
· Deleted & Extended / Alternate Scenes
· Line-O-Rama: Re-watch some of the movie’s funniest scenes, but this time with alternate punch lines
· Feature Commentary with director Judd Apatow and stars Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen
o Funny People Diaries: A documentary in four parts which takes audiences inside all aspects of the filmmaking process from early cast table reads and joke brainstorming sessions, to the various filmmaking techniques employed throughout the production.
o Judd’s High School Radio Show
o Raaaaaaaandy!: This mockumentary takes fans on the road with Aziz Ansari’s Randy character from the film.
· Music from Funny People: Listen to music from and inspired by the film from James Taylor, Adam Sandler, Jon Brion and RZA
· From the Archives: Watch Adam Sandler and Judd Apatow on a 1990 episode of The Midnight Hour with Bill Maher; Sandler’s first appearance on David Letterman; and Seth Rogen doing stand up at 13!
· The Films of George Simmons: Watch footage from George Simmons’ greatest films including Sayonara Davey and Merman
· Prank Call 1990: Watch Sandler as he performs an actual prank phone call, in this archival footage from Judd Apatow’s personal video library
· “Yo Teach…!”: Go “behind-the-scenes” of “Yo Teach…!”, the television show featured in the film Funny People
Blu-rayTM Hi-Def includes everything on the two-disc Collector’s Edition DVD, plus more exclusive content and interactive features, including:
· Enjoy more hilarious laughs with two more Line-O-Rama’s
· Watch additional Deleted, Extended and Alternate Scenes
· Additional music and an extensive look at James Taylor on the set
· Over an hour of stand up performances by the film’s cast
· Additional archival material including Sandler’s second Letterman appearance, Sandler at Los Angeles’ famed Comedy & Magic Club and Judd Apatow performing on The Dennis Miller Show
· Hilarious prank calls from Adam Sandler and Judd Apatow
· Adam Sandler and Judd Apatow’s appearance on “Charlie Rose”
· U-ControlTM: Funny People music: Universal’s exclusive signature feature puts the viewer just a click away from additional insights into the music in the film without ever leaving the movie.
· BD-LiveTM: Access the BD-LiveTM Center through any Internet-connected player to download more exclusive content, the latest trailers and more!
o My Chat: Using any Internet-connected player, host a text chat with friends while watching the movie in synchronization
o My Funny People Commentary: Create play-by-play video, audio or text movie commentary and share it with friends through UniversalHiDef.com and the BD-Live Center
o My Scenes Sharing: Bookmark favorite scenes from the movie to share with BD-Live buddies!
The Funny People single disc DVD includes a gag reel and feature commentary with director Judd Apatow, Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen.