Start saving, folks. HBO is now taking pre-orders for the Game of Thrones season 5 Blu-ray, which is coming on March 15th and retailing for $79.98. The DVD, meanwhile, runs for $59.99. Games of Thrones Season 6 doesn’t debut until April 24th, and this is a good chance to revisit all the wild games of Westeros beforehand. Arguably, you can do that with HBO GO, but the Blu-ray also has exclusive bonus extras that take you through the history of some of the characters and locations, including the story of the Targaryen civil war.
In addition, there are a ton of behind-the-scenes looks and deleted scenes from Season 5, including a deeper dive into the Emmy-winning episode “Mother’s Mercy.” You’ll know this as the hour that featured Cersei’s eye-opening walk of “Shame” that spawned countless memes and even a smartphone app.
See below for the full list of extra features on the DVD and Blu-ray, via CS.
- Anatomy of an Episode: Mother’s Mercy – From the early stages of the writer’s room to the final visual effects, see what went into creating “Mother’s Mercy,” the Emmy-winning episode fans will be talking about for years to come.
- The Real History Behind Game of Thrones – Watch historians, along with George R.R. Martin, explore the interweaving inspirations of the actual players in the era known as “The Wars of the Roses” and other historical events in this two-part series
- Audio Commentaries – Twelve audio commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Kit Harington, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Iain Glen, Maisie Williams, Natalie Dormer, Gwendoline Christie and more.
- Deleted Scenes – 4 deleted scenes
- A Day in the Life – Three countries, hundreds of cast & crew, one epic day. Get an inside look at the production process of Season 5.
- New Characters/New Locations – Explore the new societies, cultures and locations of Season 5.
BLU-RAY ADDITIONAL EXTRAS
- The Dance of Dragons – Hear the story of the Greens and the Blacks, the Targaryen civil war that led to the downfall of the dragons, featuring surprise narration from notable characters from past seasons.
- In-Episode Guide – Dig deeper into the show with this in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations, and relevant histories.
- Histories and Lore – Learn about the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves in 14 history pieces. Select Histories feature illustrations from the show’s storyboard artist, Will Simpson.