Opening next weekend is Will Ferrell’s Spanish language comedy Casa de mi Padre. The film centers on Ferrell as Armando Alvarez, a Mexican rancher who must save his family’s farm while simultaneously fending off the drug lord, Onza, played by Gael Garcia Bernal (The Motorcycle Diaries) and winning the hand of the lovely Sonia, played by Genesis Rodriguez (Man on a Ledge). As Dave said, to sum it up in just a few words: passion, adventure, intrigue, betrayal, sex, danger, romance, guns, cigarettes, special effects and slaps. The film also stars Diego Luna, Efren Ramirez and Nick Offerman. For more on the film, here’s fourteen clips and a fifteen-minute making of featurette.
The other day I got to speak with Genesis Rodriguez. We talked about how she got involved in the project, the audition, improvising in Spanish, and the telenovella aspect of the film. In addition, with Rodriguez just having working with Arnold Schwarzenegger in director Kim Ji-woon‘s Last Stand, she talked about who she played and promises Schwarzenegger “is doing it all again, the stunts, the taglines. You’re gonna get a lot more of those [taglines].” Hit the jump to watch.
- :20 – Talks about how she got involved in the project and her first impression of the idea
- :48 – The audition process. Says she was the first person on the first day of auditions and Will Ferrell was laughing a lot, but she wasn’t sure if he was laughing with her or at her.
- 2:02 – Was there still a lot of improvising given that the film was in Spanish? Says Will kept asking how to say things in Spanish
- 2:44 – The telenovella aspect of the film.
- 3:13 – Talks about Last Stand:
“This is exactly what you want from an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. This is your action hero coming back and this is the biggest comeback role for him. I think you’re gonna see another side of him; I think you’re gonna remember him in his glory days, but you’re gonna see a different kind of Arnold. You’re gonna see a more vulnerable, more human side of him. It’s wonderful to see that he’s coming back to it and this is where we love to see him. My character is an FBI agent; he plays a cop, the sheriff of a small town. He is doing it all again, the stunts, the taglines. You’re gonna get a lot more of those [taglines].”