I posted my first article about Strange Magic back in November. Trouble is, at the time, I was convinced it had something to do with Frozen. About a week later, Disney proved me very wrong by announcing that Strange Magic was an animated musical from George Lucas. It takes place in a land that’s divided into the Dark Forest and the Fairy Kingdom. The Bog King (voiced by Alan Cumming) despises love, so he insists that all of the primroses are destroyed so that the Sugar Plum Fairy (Kristin Chenoweth) can never use them to make more love potion.
With Strange Magic making its way into theaters on January 23rd, I got the opportunity to sit down with Lucas and Elijah Kelley who voices Sunny, an elf who’s got a crush on a fairy, to talk about making the movie. Hit the jump to find out why we didn’t hear anything about the film until November, where this especially unique idea came from, if Lucas passed along any ideas for Star Wars: The Force Awakens to J.J. Abrams and more.
George Lucas & Elijah Kelley:
- Why we didn’t hear anything about Strange Magic until November.
- What sparked the idea to make Strange Magic.
- Kelley on doing his very first animated movie.
- Distancing the Strange Magic character designs from Star Wars.
- Did Lucas pass on any old, unused Star Wars ideas to J.J. Abrams for The Force Awakens?
- Kelley’s thoughts on the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer.