We’re a few months away from the release of Rupert Sanders‘s live-action Ghost in the Shell adaptation, but a new international trailer has been released to remind us that the film is (relatively) just around the corner. It’s essentially a more condensed version of the trailer that’s already been released, so don’t expect a lot of new scenes, sequences, or peeks behind the curtain. As a placeholder for new content in 2017, however, it’ll do.
Starring Scarlett Johansson as The Major, Pilou Asbæk as Batou, with Beat Takeshi (a.k.a. Takeshi Kitano) as Public Security Section 9 founder and chief Daisuke Aramaki, plus Juliette Binoche, Kaori Momoi, and Rila Fukushima, and other Section 9 task force members played by Chin Han, Danusia Samal, Lasarus Ratuere, Yutaka Izumihara, and Tuwanda Manyimo, Ghost in the Shell arrives in theaters on March 31, 2017, and in Japan a week later.
Check out the new international cut for Ghost in the Shell below:
Here’s the official synopsis for Ghost in the Shell:
Based on the internationally-acclaimed sci-fi property, “GHOST IN THE SHELL” follows the Major, a special ops, one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid, who leads the elite task force Section 9. Devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, Section 9 is faced with an enemy whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka Robotic’s advancements in cyber technology.
For more of our extensive coverage on Ghost in the Shell, be sure to take a look at some of our recent write-ups below:
- New Trailer for ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Heralds the Animated Classic’s Re-Release on Blu-ray
- Rupert Sanders on ‘Ghost in the Shell’s Villain and Making More Than an Action Film
- This Week in Animation News: ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Live-Action vs Anime Comparison Is Stunning
- ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Director Rupert Sanders Says It’s Not an Origin Story But a “Birth Story”
- ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Director Rupert Sanders Says the Film’s Villain Kuze Is “an Amalgamation”