GHOST RIDER 2 to Move Forward without Nicolas Cage?

     April 23, 2010


Nicolas Cage wanted to be in a superhero movie so badly that he decided to do Ghost Rider, a character who works better as a biker tattoo than a protagonist.  But Columbia Pictures wants a sequel and Vulture reports that if Cage can’t make it this year, they’ll go ahead without him.  Why leave the actor behind?  Because the if the studio can’t get a film in production by November 14th, the rights automatically revert to Marvel and its new owner, Disney.

The issue is that Cage may opt to do National Treasure 3, which could shoot as early as the fall and possibly net the actor a larger paycheck.  But Vulture notes that Columbia wants a blockbuster for 2011 and their Spider-Man reboot isn’t slated to hit theaters until summer 2012.  The studio needs a star like Cage to sell the movie worldwide due to the character’s lack of name-recognition.  But they also need to get the film rolling and soon.  Hit the jump for more details about the project from when Steve spoke to producer Mike De Luca back in January.

ghost_rider_image.jpgHere’s what Mike De Luca told Steve earlier this year:

- Mark Steven Johnson is not directing the sequel

– Eva Mendes will not return as Roxanne Simpson

Ghost Rider 2 (or Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance) will be a hard PG-13

– The film is going to take place in Europe

– De Luca is open to David Goyer directing the sequel but it all comes down to his very busy schedule

– Says the sequel will be like “pushing the reset button” on the franchise

– As you might expect from the success of Avatar, Ghost Rider 2 might be done in 3D

– Says Goyer has just delivered his updated outline to the studio

– And says Ghost Rider 2 could be in front of the cameras this year

Obviously, some of these facts have changed in the months following Steve’s interview.  The question now is urgency and all of these facts may change in the rush to get Ghost Rider 2 in front of cameras.

Watch Now
Around The Web

Latest News