Earlier this week I got to speak with Gillian Jacobs & T.J. Miller for Lorene Scafaria‘s offbeat romantic comedy Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. The film focuses on two neighbors (played by Steve Carell and Keira Knightley) who bond during a road trip as they both try to reconnect with lost loves and family before a meteor destroys the Earth. In the film, Jacobs and Miller play two of the offbeat characters they meet along the way. For more on the film, click here for seven clips.
During the interview Jacobs and Miller talked about how they made the characters their own, improv, how they prepare for their roles, future projects like How to Train Your Dragon 2 and The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
Gillian Jacobs and T.J. Miller
- :08 They talk about how they read Collider
- :37 How much they were able to make the characters their own versus what was in the script. They say they expanded on the basic premise surrounding their characters
- 1:55 Miller says he made love with Carell in a cut scene.
- 2:14 How early they start breaking down their characters when they get a script. Miller describes his preparation method as “a bargain basement version of what Seth Rogen and Jason Segel do”
- 3:04 Say they’re mainly improvisers and talk about being able to come up with a lot of stuff on the spot.
- 3:41 Talk about How to Train Your Dragon 2 and The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. Jacobs says she kisses Carell again in Burt Wonderstone, while Miller says he kisses Carell after he watches How to Train Your Dragon 2.