Hitting theaters Friday is Paul, the new film from Nick Frost and Simon Pegg, who previously starred in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. In the film, the comedy duo plays British nerds road tripping across the US after attending Comic-Con. But, when they come across a wisecracking, chain-smoking, dirty-talking alien named Paul, their cross-country trek becomes a run from government operatives who want to dissect their new friend. To promote the film Universal Pictures flew journalists out to Nevada to visit the infamous Area 51 and talk to Pegg, Frost, and director Greg Mottola about their raucous, geeky comedy.
Today we have our interview with Greg Mottola where he tells us about how difficult it was to work with Collider.com editor Steve Weintraub (who was an extra in the film), discusses his fear of inter-dimensional lizard people, describes how Woody Allen introduced him to his wife, and much more. Hit the jump to watch:
And for more on Paul, you can check out all our previous coverage here. It includes on set interviews, trailers, posters, clips and images. Look for our video interview with Pegg and Frost tomorrow.
- Mottola talks about how Steve effected the creative process in Paul.
- 1:22 – Mottola hypothesizes about intelligent life in the universe.
- 1:29 – Mottola talks about his experiences at Comic-Con.
- 2:17 – Between Nick and Simon, who’s Mulder and who’s Scully?
- 2:32 – Mottola talks about how evil lizard people really control the earth.
- 2:50 – Mottola explains how Woody Allen introduced him to his wife.
- 3:35 – Mottola tells viewers where to look for a hidden easter egg in Paul.
- 4:08 – Mottola explains the financials of the film and how no CGI was used.
- 4:31 – Mottola gives us a tidbit on Paul’s history.