Now playing around the world is director James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy. As most of you know, the story follows five intergalactic misfits—Peter Quill aka Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista), Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel), and Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper)—as they set out to protect a powerful and mysterious orb from the villainous Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace). Loaded with great performances, an extremely funny script, and some fantastic action sequences,Guardians of the Galaxy should be a big hit with moviegoers and it helps to explain why Marvel was so quick to announce that a sequel is coming July 28, 2017. For more on the film, read Matt’s review.
At the recent Los Angeles press day, I landed an exclusive video interview with James Gunn. He talked about his reaction to everyone loving the film, deleted scenes, whether he would release an extended cut, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, how he’s thought about solo movies for the Guardians cast as well as a sequel featuring the whole gang together, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
Note: This interview was done before Marvel officially announced Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
- What is it like for him reading all the positive tweets and people loving the film?
- How long was his first cut?
- Deleted scenes talk
- Will he release an extended cut on Blu-ray?
- Says they have between 10 – 15 minutes of deleted scenes.
- Did he know about Marvel’s untitled release dates through 2019?
- Will he want to make a smaller movie after this or would he be willing to jump right into Guardians of the Galaxy 2?
- Has he thought about the story of Guardians 2? Reveals he’s thought about solo movies for the Guardians cast as well as a sequel featuring the whole cast.