Back in 2014 when James Gunn‘s Guardians of the Galaxy introduced the title team to a whole new generation of Marvel movie enthusiasts, fans took to tearing apart the movie frame by frame in order to suss out the myriad Easter eggs hidden throughout. Marvel-ites did a good job finding them, but there remains one as-of-yet undiscovered comic book reference that no one has spotted.
“There’s definitely one really big thing that people haven’t seen, but they may never see it — we’ll see,” he said, back in 2014. Whatever it is, the Easter egg is still out there for the spotting. But if it doesn’t exist, Gunn may be out of pocket a substantial amount of money.
While answering some questions in an impromptu Q&A session on Facebook (hat tip to CB), Gunn confirmed that he had no plans to reveal the elusive Easter egg, but that if a certain commenter could prove it didn’t exist (a difficult thing to do), he’d pay them $100,000. Check out the exchange below:
And here’s the exact quote in question:
Now before you start combing back through GotG for the hundredth time, finding that Easter egg doesn’t win you anything except everlasting Internet fame. The Facebook “fan” will only get their payday if the Easter egg turns out not to exist. For Gunn’s sake, here’s hoping the Easter egg wasn’t lost in some unfortunate editorial cut. Until some intrepid sleuth out there discovers it and Gunn himself confirms it, we’ll never know.
For more on all things Guardians of the Galaxy, take a look at our recent write-ups below:
- Watch: Video Essay Explores Why Marvel Movies Are Kind of Ugly
- ‘Deadpool’ / ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 2’ Character Trade Brought About Ego, the Living Planet
- ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ Trailer Analysis: Abilisk, Knowhere, and Ego Appear!
- ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’: 30 Images Showcase the Title Team and a Space Monster
- ‘Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2’: First Poster Finds Chris Pratt, Baby Groot Being Totally Over It