Though we’ve seen a fair amount of sequels from Marvel Studios over the past few years, the time has finally come to introduce a new comics property to the moviegoing public with Guardians of the Galaxy. The film has been billed as a “risk” since Day One given the source material’s offbeat and relatively obscure nature, and then it became even more of a question mark when Marvel tapped Slither and Super director James Gunn to take the helm. However, while the finished film is indeed probably weirder than any Marvel film thus far, it’s oddly one of the most personal. Guardians is very much a space opera, but more than that, it’s really a dysfunctional family story about a group of broken, morally ambiguous loners coming together to fight off real evil. Chris Pratt proves he’s got the goods to lead a tentpole all his own, and even though he says but three words, Groot nearly steals the whole movie. The film does suffer from the Marvel sameness at points (which, by now, is par for the course), but on the whole, I though Guardians was a hell of a good time and would rank it towards the top of the Marvel oeuvre thus far.
You can read Matt’s full review right here, but now that Guardians of the Galaxy is in theaters, we want to hear your thoughts. Did James Gunn deliver on his promise of a weird space opera? Who was your favorite Guardian? What’d you think about that post-credits scene? Sound off in the comments after the jump.
We’d like to see your thoughts on Guardians of the Galaxy in the comments below, but first, flashback to the very first trailer for the film that introduced audiences to a very different kind of Marvel movie.
Click here to catch up on all of our Guardians of the Galaxy coverage, or peruse the recent links below:
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Review
- Vin Diesel Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, His Reaction to the Finished Film, Another RIDDICK Sequel, KOJAK, XXX 3, His HANNIBAL Trilogy, More
- Benicio del Toro Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, Playing the Collector, His Marvel Contract, INHERENT VICE, PARADISE LOST, and More
- Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Michael Rooker, Benicio Del Toro, Vin Diesel and James Gunn Talk GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
- Kevin Feige Talks AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, GUARDIANS, ANT-MAN, DOCTOR STRANGE, the Future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Plans for Thanos, and Much More at Comic-Con
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 Confirmed for Release on July 28, 2017