One of the things I’ve liked about the Guardians of the Galaxy trailers is how they’ve used unconventional song choices to convey that this film has its own personality. It turns out tunes such as Blue Swede‘s “Hooked on a Feeling”, Norman Greenbaum‘s “Spirit in the Sky”, and The Runaways‘ “Cherry Bomb” aren’t just in the trailers; they’ll also be on the film’s soundtrack. There are also plenty of other exciting song selections such as David Bowie’s “Moonage Daydream”, The Jackson 5‘s “I Want You Back”, and Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell‘s “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”. I can’t wait to hear how they’ll be used in the movie.
Hit the jump for the full tracklisting. The film stars Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Zoe Saldana, Lee Pace, Benicio Del Toro, Glenn Close, Karen Gillan, Michael Rooker, Djimon Hounson, John C. Reilly, and the voices of Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel. The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack will be released on July 29th; click here to pre-order. The film will be released in 3D on August 1st.
1. Blue Swede – Hooked on a Feeling
2. Raspberries – Go All the Way
3. Norman Greenbaum – Spirit in the Sky
4. David Bowie – Moonage Daydream
5. Elvin Bishop – Fooled Around and Fell in Love
6. 10Cc – I’m Not in Love
7. Jackson 5 – I Want You Back
8. Redbone – Come and Get Your Love
9. The Runaways – Cherry Bomb
10. Rupert Holmes – Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
11. The Five Stairsteps – O-O-H Child
12. Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
Here’s the official synopsis for Guardians of the Galaxy:
From Marvel, the studio that brought you the global blockbuster franchises of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers, comes a new team – the Guardians of the Galaxy. An action-packed epic space adventure, Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits – Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon, Groot, a tree-like humanoid, the deadly and enigmatic Gamora and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Peter discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand – with the galaxy’s fate in the balance. Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” is presented by Marvel Studios. The film releases August 1, 2014, and is distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.
For more of our recent coverage, click on the links below:
- Groot, Rocket, and Gamora Get New GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Posters; Michael Rooker’s Yondu Teased in New Image
- James Gunn Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, the Marketing, 3D, Making Movies That Are Like Nirvana Songs, and More at the Saturn Awards
- New GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Featurette: The Cast Talks about Their Misfit Characters
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Extended TV Spot Rocks out to “Cherry Bomb” and Has Plenty of New Footage
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: New Image of Lee Pace as the Villainous Ronan the Accuser
- Nathan Fillion to Have a “Fun Cameo” in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY; Check out the Film’s Empire Magazine Covers
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: Seven New Images Take Us to Knowhere and Back