As most of you know, I recently did an epic hour-long video interview with director Guillermo del Toro, and over the past two weeks I’ve been breaking it down into smaller segments. For today’s final installment, del Toro talks about his interest in TV, The Walking Dead, how he’d love to develop his Strain novels as a cable series, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and more.
For fans of Breaking Bad, del Toro reveals that he was going to cameo in season four as the Mexican doctor in “Crawl Space.” The part was written for him. He also talks about how he’d love to direct an episode but his schedule has prevented it from happening. Hit the jump for more.
Guillermo del Toro:
- Would he be interested in doing something for TV? Says he’s been in very active talks with HBO for the past few years and there’s an “entire secret history” of The Walking Dead that’s not well-known as he was at some point involved with that. When he gets involved with a new medium, he learns more about the other mediums he’s working in. Working on inSANE was useful for him in creating things for Pacific Rim, and working on animation at DreamWorks also informed his Pacific Rim process.
- 1:55 Says he would love to develop his Strain novels as a cable series. Talks about inSANE’s development process and how the turmoil at THQ has put that project in jeopardy.
- 2:50 Would he ever work on a cable series in a guest capacity? Reveals that he was gonna do a cameo in Breaking Bad season four as the Mexican doctor in “Crawl Space.” The part was written for del Toro.
- 3:42 Talks about his love for Breaking Bad and his reaction to the “Face Off” episode.
- 4:15 Talks about Game of Thrones and meeting with George R.R. Martin. Before Mimic, he wanted to adapt Martin’s Sandkings but it was turned into an episode of The Outer Limits.
- Part 1: Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM, Comic-Con, and Working with Legendary’s Thomas Tull Who Asked Him to “Make it More Kick-Ass”
- Part 2: Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM, Why They Used the RED EPIC & Didn’t Do 3D; Reveals Blu-ray Will Have 30 Minutes of Deleted Scenes
- Part 3: Guillermo del Toro Explains Why He Put Together an International Cast for PACIFIC RIM; Talks About the Film’s Monsters, Robots, and Massive Battles
- Part 4: Guillermo del Toro Talks About His Love of MONDO, Whether PACIFIC RIM Will Get a Print, His Upcoming Book GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S CABINET OF CURIOSITIES, New Man Cave Purchases, and More
- Part 5: Guillermo del Toro Talks RISE OF THE GUARDIANS and PINOCCHIO; Hopes to Begin Voice Recording in Jan 2013 and Ron Perlman Will Play Stromboli
- Part 6: Guillermo del Toro Talks ABC’s Live-Action HULK; Reveals He Thought About Directing THE WOLVERINE and THOR
- Part 7: Guillermo del Toro Talks HAUNTED MANSION and His Love of HARRY POTTER
- Part 8: Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM Soundtrack and Collectables
- Part 9: Guillermo del Toro Talks DR. STRANGE, Why Video Game Adaptations are So Difficult, and His Failed HALO Movie With D.B. Weiss