At today’s WonderCon panel presentation for Warner Bros. film Pacific Rim, director Guillermo del Toro revealed a surprising amount of information on another of his upcoming projects, Dark Universe. Also called Heaven Sent and, colloquially, Justice League Dark in previous reports, Dark Universe will feature a team up of such DC characters as Swamp Thing, Etrigan the Demon and John Constantine. Del Toro talked about the progress of the film, the hiring of an as-of-yet unnamed writer, the lead characters and what elements of the DC comics the film plans to feature. Hit the jump to see what he revealed.
Here’s what del Toro had to say about the progress update on Dark Universe:
- He’s finished the bible for the film and hopes to start in on the screenplay soon with an unnamed writer he also hopes to announce soon.
- A blond John Constantine will be the lead character who tries to recruit the other heroes.
- The story will include elements of the Demon Knights and Merlin.
- The team’s origin will be revealed over time instead of presented up front: Swamp Thing is already at peace with his lot in life and Deadman is still in search of the man who shot him.
- Del Toro said that his favorite characters growing up were Etrigan the Demon and Swamp Thing so he’s loving the experience on this film.
For more on Dark Universe, here’s our exclusive interview with del Toro where he talks a lot more in depth about the project.