Harmony Korine’s Spring Breakers opens nationwide this weekend. The movie centers on a group of girls (played by Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez, Ashley Benson, and Rachel Korine) who go to disturbing lengths to keep their spring break going, and their journey becomes even stranger when they encounter unhinged drug dealer, Alien (James Franco). For more on the film, watch the red band trailer or read Matt’s review.
At the recent Los Angeles press day, I got to speak with Korine. We talked about what it was like making a movie with so many people watching them work, how the indie flick is is being covered like a 200 million Hollywood blockbuster, his reaction to James Franco’s character, deleted scenes, the craziest stuff he observed watching kids on Spring Break, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
Finally, click here to watch my video interview with Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez, Ashley Benson, and Rachel Korine.
- How the level of interest in the film is like a 200 million dollar blockbuster
- During filming did they ever have problems due to fans hanging around the set
- What was his reaction the first time he saw James Franco on set
- Improv versus sticking to the script
- How much changed from initial concept to the finished film
- Deleted scenes talk
- Is he a fan of unrated directors cuts on Blu-ray. Says Spring Breakers will have one
- He watched real people on Spring Break to help write the movie. What was the craziest thing he saw and was there anything that was so crazy he couldn’t put it in the film. Says he saw kids snorting donuts
- Casting talk