Samuel L. Jackson Says Tarantino Shot THE HATEFUL EIGHT on a Refrigerated Set
Quentin Tarantino may be returning to the Western genre, but it sounds like his latest film, The Hateful Eight, will be a very different picture than Django Unchained. The story takes place a few years after the Civil War and revolves around a group of traveling strangers who are forced to take refuge together at a bar when a snowstorm hits the Wyoming landscape.
At the press day for Big Game, Christina spoke with star Samuel L. Jackson, who is also in Hateful Eight. In Tarantino’s new film, Jackson plays Major Marquis Warren, a black former union soldier turned infamous bounty hunter. She asked about what it was like shooting Hateful Eight, and Jackson explained that this is really an ensemble piece as opposed to Tarantino’s previous movies. He also said the cast really bonded over the course of filming, and they’re still texting and referring to themselves as “The Haters”.
And when you hear what filming was like on set, it makes sense why they would form such a close bond:
All of us are so anxious to see this movie because, every day, the work was incredible. It was taxing, in a very interesting way, because we were in the snow, at first, and then we get inside this room. Quentin shot on a refrigerated set, and it was 30 degrees, every day, in there. We were miserable in the environment. You could see our breath, but the stuff that we were doing was amazing. We would finish doing a scene and look at each other and just grin like, “This is incredible.” And we may be blowing smoke up our own asses, but I hope it’s as good as we felt like it was when we were doing it.
There’s a reason more movies are turning to CGI breath when it comes to portraying the cold, but Tarantino doesn’t roll like that, and I assume shooting on a 30-degree set helped the actors get further into character. If there’s shivering, it’s probably real.
The Hateful Eight will be released later this year, and also stars:
- Kurt Russell as John Ruth, a “mean sonuvabitch” bounty hunter on his way to Red Rock with a murderous woman in tow.
- Samuel L. Jackson as Major Marquis Warren, a former Union officer who lives in the Wyoming mountains.
- Jennifer Jason Leigh as Daisy Domergue, an infamous outlaw taken prisoner by Ruth.
- Michael Madsen as Joe Gage, a cowboy.
- Tim Roth as Oswaldo Mobray, a Brit and new hangman of Red Rock.
- Walton Goggins as Chris Mannix, a Southerner who claims to be the sheriff.
- Bruce Dern as General Sanford Smithers, a former Confederate general.
- Demian Bichir as Bob, a Mexican man who’se taken over innkeeper duties at Minnie’s while the owner is away.
For more on the The Hateful Eight, click here. For more on Big Game, come back for our coverage closer to the film’s June 26th release date.